Saturday, August 9, 2008

If You Don't Try, You Don't Win.

“The Lord had said to Abram ‘Leave your native country, you relatives, and your father’s family, and go to the land that I will show you. I will make you into a great nation. I will bless you and make you famous, and you will be a blessing to others. I will bless those who bless you and curse those who treat you with contempt. All the families on the earth will be blessed through you. ‘So Abram departed as the Lord had instructed, and Lot went with him. Abram was seventy-five years old when he left Haran.”

[Gen. 12:1-4 (NLT)]

What an example! Could you imagine living in a place for seventy-five years, and just pick up and leave when the Lord calls you to? Think you could do it? Although we all would like to think we could, most of us would have to second-guess leaving our homes.

In my elementary school gym classes, it seemed like every other day we played dodgeball. Back in those days, I had very little athletic ability, and even less faith in my athletic ability. So my game strategy was to stand out of the way and hope my team would win.

But often enough we didn’t win. All the good players would be gone, and I would be that last one standing. It would be my turn to take action, but I never did. I had so little faith in myself that I DIDN’T EVEN TRY. Surely enough, I would be taken out.

Christians, even though it’s hard to understand, THIS WORLD IS NOT OUR HOME. This world is more a playing field than anything else. Only WE ARE OUR OWN TEAM. We cannot take nor be a “plus one” into the kingdom of heaven. If you have so little FAITH in yourself or in God that you will not TRY to follow him, do not expect any reward. Just like the man who hid his talents, you cannot stand out of the way and hope for the best.

Luckily, we have a lifeline. God is always on our side. We can always ask God what to do, and we can always be willing to do it. And God will always call upon those who are willing.

Nothing here last forever, so do not try to belong in this earth. Instead work for God, and work with God. You won’t be sorry you did. I’m sure Abraham wasn’t!

May the Lord’s guidance be with you all

No comments: