Thursday, August 21, 2008

Did Somebody Say Impossible?

“When Abram was ninety-nine years old, the Lord appeared to him and said, ‘ I am El-Shaddai, ‘God Almighty.’ Serve me faithfully and live a blameless life. I will make a covenant with you, by which I will guarantee to give you countless descendants.’

At this, Abram fell face down on the ground. Then God said to him, ‘This is my covenant with you: I will make you father of a multitude of nations! What’s more, I am changing your name. It will no longer be Abram. Instead, you will be called Abraham, for you will be the father of many nations. I will make you extremely fruitful. You descendants will become many nations, and kings will be among them!

[Gen. 17:1-6 (NLT)]

Have you ever looked in one of those books that tell you the meanings of names? A few years ago, I did. As it turned out, my name had two meanings, "outgoing" and “sweet”. My family and I found this to be hysterical. For back then I was the most timid person you could come across, with a stone cold heart. Of course, I did not know my God back then. I’m sure if I ever were to run into any of my old school teachers, they would think it was only a coincidence that the outgoing, accepting person I am today would have the same name as the shy loner kid that once sat in the back of their classroom.

While I’m not sure what the name “Abram” means, I know that Abraham (according to the New Living Translation bible) means “exalted father”. Which is craziness considering Abraham was about 40-50 years too old to father a child, and his wife was also well past her prime. And people just don’t have babies when they’re almost one hundred years of age. And yet, Abram fathered Isaac, who fathered Jacob, who fathered the nation of Israel. This is one of the many miracles that happen in the bible. Also, this is one of the MANY, MANY miracles that happen through God.

So how does and old man become a father? How do people not get burned in fire? What can make the sun stay in the sky longer than it usually does? How can the mute talk? How can the lame walk? How can the dead rise? How can a VIRGIN GIVE BITRTH? Who can move a mountain?

“ Jesus looked at them intently and said, ‘ Humanly speaking, it is impossible. But with God, everything is possible.” [Mat. 19:26 (NLT)]

Christians, when we find God, and let our souls come into contact with the Holy Spirit, WE CHANGE. Finding God is not just finding the pathway to heaven. It is also finding that through him we can have PEACE ON EARTH.

ONLY GOD has the power to take our flawed, broken lives, and change them into one’s worth loving to live.

May the Lord’s guidance be with you all,

No comments: